5 Tips to Prevent Pet Poisoning

March 6, 2013


Your pets are curious critters, nosing around – and sometimes eating – substances that could make them very sick or kill them. Animals needing to be housed in animal shelters aren’t immune, either.

Use Locking Cabinets

The best pet poison prevention tips prevent accidental poisonings from happening at all. Store household chemicals and poisons away in a cabinet that’s locked or too high for your pets to get into. Secure such items as bleach, cleaning items, tile cleaners and liquid drain openers in these cabinets. In short, think of your pet as a curious child.

Secure Trash Cans

Your cats and dogs have acute senses of smell. The chicken bones you tossed into the trash are highly tempting to them and after you’ve gone to bed, they’ll do everything they can to get to them. Store your kitchen trash can in a secure cabinet or toss the trash in the outdoor trash bin every night. If you cannot do this, convert a large cat litter container – those that hold 30 pounds or more – into a kitchen trash can. The snap lid is impossible for your cats or dogs to open.

No Foods or Medications for Humans

More pet poison prevention tips: Medications intended for humans, such as aspirin, can make your pets very ill.  Only give your pets medications prescribed by your vet.

Chocolates, onions, garlic, raisins, grapes, coffee, alcoholic beverages, avocados, milk, nicotine and rich, fatty foods can make your pets ill, or they can kill them.

Beware of Deicers and Antifreeze

When you take your pets outdoors during winter months, the deicers used to melt ice can poison them when they lick their paws. Wash their paws off when you bring them indoors. Clean up every antifreeze spill – even tiny amounts can kill your dog or cat.

Restrict Use of Poisons

One of the most important pet poison prevention tips – keep rat poisons and pesticides away from your cats and dogs. These can kill your dogs and cats. Pesticides and fertilizers are potentially deadly for animals. Keep the dogs and cats inside when you use them and try to restrict where they roam while the chemicals are doing their work on weeds and those insect pests. Again, your animals are curious and will nose into “interesting” smells and odors, potentially making themselves very sick. These chemicals can kill your pets.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: